Welcome to the 2nd edition of Grecia's Gazette. Its been a whirlwind so far, the bookings, preparing for Nationals, and reaching out and making new connections. I thought, since a lot of you don't know much about me personally, I would share some of my background information and a little about who I am.
And now 15 facts about me:
1. I am 31 years old. (I know its shocking, I don't look a day over 22 lol)
2. I am the oldest of 3 children and the only boy.
3. I am an Tio (Uncle) to 2 beautiful children, Marlyn and Yandel, who live in New Mexico.
4. My mother had me at 19 years old and was a single mother.
5. I was raised by my grandmother who I refer to as mom. (many of you have probably seen her in the audience, she is the sweet 74 year old and my #1 fan)
6. On August 23rd of this month it will be my 1 year anniversary of getting legally married to Josh in Palm Springs.
7. I have been doing female impersonation for 13 years (10 of them only in Latino bars for Latino audiences, who I love and appreciate)
8. I made my crossover to the Anglo side of "drag" in 2011 when I won Miss Goddess Apollos
9. When I won Miss Phoenix Gay Pride in 2012 I placed 2nd in every category. (Consistency is the key to success)
10. My favorite Mexican restaurant in Phoenix is, Pepes Taco Villa on Camelback Rd.
11. My favorite color is Turquoise
12. I work as a Supervisor, yes I have a Monday through Friday corporate job, for Seacret Direct. (The same company as Tyra Maria and Galilea Sodi work for)
13. I love just about anything that is fried.
14. Vodka/Redbull is my drink of choice.
15. My two favorite TV shows are Modern Family and Mom.
I have reached out and spoke to all of the current promoters in the Arizona America family and its looking like we will have all 5 preliminaries back with all of last years promoters coming back as well. The dates for each of the 5 prelims are starting to be worked on, so keep an eye out for those dates to be released once the details are worked out. I have also spoken to some of the current city titleholders who have already picked the themes for their upcoming pageants and I must say I am very excited by what I have heard so far. I am looking forward to working with all of the promoters and each of the 5 titleholders to help make each prelim a success this upcoming year.
I want to say Thank You to all my Arizona sisters for reaching out to me and offering assistance and advice. My Uncle Barbra Seville has been wonderful and you can catch me twice a month with her, the 2nd Friday of each month at C7 and the 3rdSaturday each month at The Rock. Also, to my new Tucson friends, who have been nothing but warm, sweet, and welcoming to me. You can catch me one weekend a month in Tucson. I will be with China Collins, Miss Arizona EOY on Fridays at IBT's and with Janee Starr, Miss Queen of the Desert America, on Saturdays at IBT'S. It will be a different weekend every month so be on the look out Tucson. And a big thanks to Lucinda Holiday for giving me a crash pad in Tucson.
I had my first fundraiser for Nationals in July at Plazma, hosted by my sister Celia Putty. I was shocked by the huge turnout we had and the amount that was raised. Thank you to Celia for organizing it. Thank you to my sisters Diva, Tyra, TC, Mya, and Phaedra for coming out to entertain and raise funds. And a huge Gracias to Jim Klever for not only allowing us into his establishment, but for his VERY generous donation as well.
I want to say congrats to my Maricruz, Daniel Eckstrom. He did an AMAZING job at Dancing With The Bars. He not only looked good on the dance floor but he also won the fundraising category by raising over $6,000 for HERO. I am very proud of his hard work and efforts. He was able to balance a full time job, a pageant, a new titleholder, learn a new dance, and raise all of that money!
As you may know, Miss Gay America will be held in Nashville, Tennessee on October 8-12. It is a very expensive adventure to go and represent the great state of Arizona, so be on the look out for upcoming fundraisers to assist both myself and Savannah Stevens. We have things in the works in both Phoenix and Tucson and would greatly appreciate all of your support.
If you are not my friend on Facebook, go on over and look up Grecia Montes D'Occa and following all of the happenings and great adventures!
Until the next edition of Grecia's Gazette I send you all love and kisses.
Grecia Montes D'Occa
Miss Gay Arizona America 2014
From the Journal of Miss Gay Arizona America 2015, Nevaeh McKenzie